GLENDORA, Calif. (May 26, 2010) – Only three races remain until the eight-car field for the lucrative K&N Horsepower Challenge, a special race-within-a-race bonus event for Pro Stock competitors, will be finalized.
Seven of the K&N Horsepower Challenge participants will be those drivers who accumulate the most points during qualifying at each NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series event during the 25-race Challenge series. Official top 10 point standings for the K&N Horsepower Challenge event are listed below.
The eighth driver who will compete for the $50,000 winner’s share of the K&N Horsepower Challenge will be selected via a special online fan vote.
The fan vote is part of a unique promotion being conducted by K&N during the running of the Challenge series. In the promotion, eight lucky fans will receive a once in a lifetime trip to Norwalk Motorsports Park for the event. Each fan finalist will be paired with a K&N Horsepower Challenge driver during pre-race ceremonies and will be introduced on stage with the driver. At that time, one of the fans will be selected as the winner of a Harley-Davidson Street Bob motorcycle.
Registration for the promotion has closed, however NHRA fans can still vote for the eighth place starting spot for the K&N Horsepower Challenge. To vote for an NHRA Pro Stock driver who is not already qualified for the bonus race (see list below, vote for one of the drivers listed in positions 8-22), please go to https://mail.jegs.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.KNFilters.com and cast your vote.
The 2010 K&N Horsepower Challenge features an overall purse of $151,000. In addition to the $50,000 winner’s prize, the runner-up of the K&N Horsepower Challenge will earn $10,000. The two semifinalists will earn $3,000 each and the four first round finishers will receive $2,500 each. More than $75,000 in qualifying bonuses will be paid out to the No. 1 qualifiers at each NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series event during the 25-race Challenge series.
Last season Jeg Coughlin, Jr claimed his third title in the historic bonus event.
K&N HORSEPOWER CHALLENGE POINT STANDINGS
(No. 1 qualifying positions in parentheses, standings after race 22 of 25 in the Challenge series)
1. Mike Edwards, Coweta, Okla., Penhall/Interstate Batteries Pontiac GXP (17) 3,755
2. Greg Anderson, Charlotte, N.C., Summit Racing Pontiac GXP (2) 3,155
3. Jason Line, Mooresville, N.C., Summit Racing Pontiac GXP 2,980
4. Allen Johnson, Greeneville, Tenn., Team Mopar/J&J Racing Dodge Avenger (2) 2,975
5. Jeg Coughlin, Delaware, Ohio, JEGS.com Chevy Cobalt (1) 2,935
6. Ron Krisher, Warren, Ohio, Valvoline Chevy Cobalt 2,920
7. Greg Stanfield, Bossier City, La., NitroFish Pontiac GXP 2,715
8. Rodger Brogdon, Tomball, Texas, Attitude Apparel Pontiac GXP 2,570
9. Johnny Gray, Carlsbad, N.M., Johnny Gray Racing Pontiac GXP 2,410
10. Kurt Johnson, Lawrenceville, Ga., Mark Christopher Chevrolet Chevy Cobalt 2,170
11. Warren Johnson, Buford, Ga., K&N Filters Pontiac GXP 1,915
12. Rickie Jones, Galesburg, Ill., Elite Motorsports Pontiac GXP 1,675
13. Larry Morgan, Newark, Ohio, Lucas Oil Ford Mustang 1,645
14. Ronnie Humphrey, Jacksonville, N.C., Troy Humphrey Motorsports Pontiac GXP 1,560
15. Vinnie Deceglie, R.Cucamonga, Calif., Mountain View Tire Pontiac GXP 1,310
16. V. Gaines, Lakewood, Colo., Kendall Oil Dodge Stratus 1,245
17. Shane Gray, Artesia, N.M., Tire Kingdom Pontiac GXP 1,025
18. Steve Spiess, Manhattan, Ill., Billet Specialties/Spiess Construction Chevy Cobalt 940
19. Bob Yonke, Burleson, Texas, Yonke Motorsports Pontiac GXP 785
20. Justin Humphreys, Monrovia, Md., RaceRedi Motorsports Ford Mustang 625
21. Erica Enders, Houston, Texas, Dragstar Ford Mustang 205
22. John Nobile, Dix Hills, N.Y., Nobile Trucking Ford Mustang 180
* Drivers listed in bold (Pos. 1-5) have mathematically clinched their starting positions in the K&N Horsepower Challenge